Saturday, October 13, 2012

End of Semester and Assignments.

A few things to say, but first, yes I know its a day late but I wanted to hold off this post so I was able to link you a more or less finished copy of my final programming assignment.

Anyway lets get into it.

It is the end of Semester like I mentioned. Starting next week is study week with exams following.
Yesterday I had 3 final assignments due, the Weatherstation for Embedded, a working Database designed for a small hospital and a programming assignment of my choice.

Now technically Database and Programming assignments were due yesterday but have an absolute deadline of Monday morning, so I was able to put aside the finishing touches for them and work swiftly on the Weatherstation, which I happily report to be 90% functioning. Just had some minor issues with the pressure sensor, but a fully working system wasn't necessary for the hand, just well documented on what was working and what still needed to be fix/updated.

Spent most of the day Working on my database and planning on doing the final touches/handing in tomorrow, not really much to say on this.

Now... What I really want to talk about.

For my final Programming Assignment I was able to choose anything I wanted, as long it was of decent size and showed the principles that we learned/OO-desgin.
So naturally I built a game from scratch with SDL libraries. =D

It is a rather simple stick figure player vs player fighting game, with a punch and kick button. But with that said, I do plan on building on from what I have created into a full fledged game. As it stands now it is missing a lot of features such as:

Friction/Speed limiter : : How the code works atm causes the characters to move faster on faster machines.
Boarder/Invisible walls :: Currently there is nothing stop players from going off screen.


Some things I would like to add/change in the future:
Better sprites :: I have very minimalistic sprites/animation as I am not a very good artist(even when it comes to stick figures.)
Menu System :: Could build one quite fast, but isn't important at this stage.
More Characters :: I want to have several different characters with different strengths/combos/etc.
Player Vs PC :: Need to learn s few scripting languages/etc before attempting this.
Lan/Net MP :: This will actually probably easier to achieve than the Player Vs PC, due the SDL have networking covered in the libraries.... I think... might need to check up on that.


Anyway I had fun creating it, and will continue to do so as I improve upon it.
I mentioned a link? Oh, so I did, here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1kgvdcba81sb6u2

Enjoy.

Screenshot:
Stick Fighters
Stick Fighters

Wow I enjoyed talking about it almost as much as I did creating it. ^.^

Anyway in the way of life, last Wednesday I went to my Brother and his girlfriends Civil Union then went out to dinner with them and both of their families(well his family is my family but I wasn't sure how to word that correctly.... I could have said "Our and her families" but that still sounds a bit weird... cause I feel like I should be grouping them together... not me and my brother... but meh...)
So I was able to have a nice meal for the first time in months... Sucks being a poor student who is use to a high standard of taste/palate.

But anyway it was a nice simple/fast ceremony and was nice seeing/talking with everyone, and meeting some of her family for the first time.

Well I think that is about me for this week, don't expect to say much next week either, as I will be stuck into my studying that nothing much is bound to happen.

"Hey, what game is that?"
~ Gaz - Invader Zim
~ Haftka

No comments:

Post a Comment