Saturday, July 16, 2011

SO MUCH, SO MUCH

Or should that be too much, too much?

New Zealand slang aside, the pun I was trying to get across was that I have so much to talk about in this post.
My new ultra cool PC which I am currently using to type this up and how I had a panic attack when I first tried booting it up.
Some funny things that have happened in the class room, and all about my first week back at course.
One of my flat mates leaving and me moving into that room from the small one(and I mean small.)

But first things first, my results from last semester(aka the first semester which was my second semester.)
Comunication studies I got a C
Electronics I I got a C
Operating systems I got a C+
Micro Processors I got a C

So as you can see I didn't shine in any of them in particular but I did pass and thankfully don't have to repeat them(although I did have fun and wouldn't mind doing it all again(if I didn't have to pay for it(like I do with electronics II(wow this is 5 brackets deep...(which is really bad cause we learned in comunications not to do this(and I am still going(ok I will stop now(seriously.)))))))))

Next let us discuss my first week back.

It was nice walking through the buildings of tec after being away for a while, still much the same.
Shall we move on? Just kidding I have more to talk about than that.

My courses for this semester are:

Electronics II(of course.)
Embedded Systems I.
Software Development. (which is programing with Java and etc.)
Industry Placement.

I only have classes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. So I am assuming that Mondays/Thursdays are set aside for the Industry Placement they are setting up for us. Although we have not started them yet cause the person organizing them and taking our 1 hour class each week for it is currently overseas in America, So here's hoping I don't get stuck with whatever he is setting up in America. It will be kinda hard to get there each day.

Electronics II is now split between two tutors, 1 for the practicals(tutor who I had to the course last year) and 1 for lectures(the tutor I had for Electronics I thank god.) I laughed pretty hard in my first practical though when our tutor went to move the wall mounted white board(which was on a rail so i can be moved out of the way of a projector screen.) Only for one end to fall right of the hinges and in the shock he jumped while still holding the other end of it pulling it right off. He then just put it off to the side for the remainder of the class.

My Software Development tutor is new to me, but he seems friendly and looks like he knows what hes doing 90% so I think this will be a good class for me, unlike micros.

Embedded systems is the same tutor as micros, which was a terrible class to be in. Here's hoping that this will play out better than micros.

Now lets talk about what you have been dieing for.
My new PC.

I am very proud of it, not only because it is a really good and powerful machine but it is custom designed and made by me.
It has an Intel i7 870 2.93ghz processor with 4 cores and 8 threads.
4gB DDR3 ram running at 1333mhz.
500gB HD(pulling one of the 250gb HD out of my old PC for when I install linux on here.)
1gB DDR3 Geforce GTS250 Graphics card.
and running windows 7 pro 64bit, soon to have OpenSuse 11.2 64bit as well.

Every single game I have tested so far runs on max graphics with zero lag, waiting on a copy of crysis from my friend to really test this out.
I mention something about a panic attack? so I did.

Well when I got the last components I hooked it up, real excited, turned it on and... nothing.
I was shocked, I couldn't speak.
I thought "maybe the graphics cards not working?"
So I changed plugs, nope.
"Ok is everything getting power?"
Checked all power cables and slots, nope.
"Ok is everything connected properly?"
Checked and still nothing.

This is where I really start to panic. I spent 2-3 hours checking every little thing and re-checking about 10 times. Constantly going through all the manuals trying to work out what could be wrong. I was starting to think that I had wasted alot of money on what seemed to be compatible but really un-compatible hardware, that or damage Hardware.

Then I notice something... something on the motherboard diagram in the manual...
The ram slots were labeled as this in this order.
B1, A1, B2, A2.

I had my ram cards in B1 and B2 cause logically I thought that B1 was the first ram slot because it was the first in the physical order and that B2 was the second that consist with B1 cause it was of the same colour.
But noo.... the prick who designed this motherboard decided to be a prick and make the second one the first and the fourth the second and the first the third and third the fourth.
FML.

Anyway once I had the ram in the correct slots it booted up fine and was reading for me to install Windows.
At-least this story had a happy ending, even if it was a bit anti-climatic and really pissed me off.

Ok last thing to talk about is one of my flat mates moving out.
Which means I have to pay more rent. The good news is a bigger room for all of my junk and computer parts.

=D

Well I guess that about sums everything up. Till next time, too much bro, too much.

"I'll make you wish you had rabid weasels teleported into your skull instead of having a sister! I'll wait until you sleep and stuff all your paranormal junk into your big, giant paranormal head and chew on your eyeballs after I pluck them out..."
~ Gaz - Invader Zim

~ Haftka

1 comment:

  1. You are a geek... no doubt. I don't understand the computer stuff but I guess you got it sorted. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete